Ramadan is the ninth month in the Islamic calendar in which observers of Islam fast from sunrise to sunset. During the fast, no food or drink is consumed, and thoughts must be kept pure. Meals are served before sunrise, called “Suhoor”, and after sunset, called “Iftar”, and eaten with family or with the local community.
Both of the Suhoor and Iftar meals contain fresh fruit, vegetables, halal meats, breads, cheeses, and sweets. It is better to keep the meals very light, full of fiber, proteins, complex carbs and hydrating foods.
During Iftar, a series of snacks are cooked. Some people prefer to have a few snacks and opt for having a complete dinner after. It usually includes spicy vegetable or Paneer fritters, spicy fruit chaat, dal, dates, and sometimes fruit custard. In some houses,no Ramadan is complete without a bottle of Rooh Afza (a special rosy pink syrup made from a mix of ingredients including coriander, orange, pineapple, carrot, rose petals, spinach, and mint). Usually it is prepared with addition of just water and lime which is another version of Rooh Afza Lassi.
- Dahi vadey: Lentil dumplings that are soaked in a spicy yogurt sauce (India).
- Haleem: A slow-cooked stew of meat, bulgur wheat, and lentils (Middle East, India, Pakistan, and Central Asia).
- Chicken 65: Spicy, bite-sized pieces of chicken that are marinated and deep-fried (India).
- Ramazan Kebabi: A dish made with lamb, onions, yogurt, and pita bread (Turkey).
- Ful medammes: Fava beans cooked with garlic and spread on bread (North Africa).
- Paomo: A bread and mutton soup (China).
- Chapatis: Unleavened flatbread that is rolled up with vegetables and meats (India and Pakistan).
- Fattoush: A salad made of vegetables and pita bread (Lebanon and Arab countries).
- Konafah: A pastry made with phyllo dough and cheese (Middle East).
- Kolak: A fruit dessert made with palm sugar, coconut milk, and pandanus leaf. Fruits, such as jack fruit or banana, or mung.
Latest posts by Mahima Bala (see all)
- Why Every Indian Should Support Jallikattu - January 21, 2017
- CAT 2016: Top 20 Positions Secured By Engineers with 100 Percentile Marks - January 14, 2017
- See How A TCS Intern Rose To Become The TATA Sons Chairman - January 13, 2017